Everybody who wants to escape from the hustle and bustle of San José is in the right place here in Santa Ana.
Approximately 30.000 residents live in this calm and attractive town. In less than half an hour you can get to the center of San José as well as to the international airport Juan Santamaria. The climate is very pleasant and dryer as in the other parts of the country. This is why Santa Ana was elected to the place with the fifth- best climate on earth. Nevertheless, the town that is protected by the mountains “Cerros de Escazú” is not too touristic.
Santa Ana was founded in 1907 and declared a town in 1970. Life takes place around the church where the weekly market is held and different trade fairs and events reflect the real Costa Rican culture. The old center, where workshops for ceramics are located and remarkable wood carvings are sold, is still alive.
On the one hand, Santa Ana offers a large number of familiar restaurants and so called “sodas” with very cheap prices that give an insight into the traditional Costa Rican kitchen. On the other hand, there are first class and expensive restaurants, a paradise for gourmets. Close to our hotel we have an 18-hole golf course and an outdoor tennis complex with 6 courts waiting for you.
Every Sunday, fruit and vegetable retailer come to the center of Santa Ana in order to sell their goods for low prices. Fish, meat and other prepared delicacies can be bought, too. It is very interesting and worth to go.
The onion is the symbol for this canton. This is why every year around the Easter season an “onion market” attracts masses of visitors because of the variety and the excellent quality. Especially the red onion is in demand due to its unusual flavor.
left side: typical oxcard in santa Ana
Further very interesting events:
- March: international market of craftsmanship (Feria de Artesanía)
- May: international tango festival “Luz de Luna“.
- July: the feast of San Joaquin, the patron saint of Santa Ana (two weeks)
- August 31st: foundation day of the canton with various activities, typical food and ceremonies
- October 25th: baroque festival, the cultural highlight of the year (two weeks). Musicians from all over the world come together in the different churches of Santa Ana to give concerts. All events and activities are for free and you have to be there in time because there must be expected masses of visitors.
- December: To come to an end with the cultural year there is marvelously decorated Christmas fair on the weekend before Christmas Eve.
Santa Ana is a beautiful place with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere where tradition and the modern age are in perfect harmony. You will feel absolutely comfortable here and find gentle people that are willing to help. The green surroundings like the nature reserves “Cerro Escazú” and “El Rodeo” invite to go out on a hike or to go riding.
Although you might get the impression to live in the country side the bus will bring you to the center of San José within 25 minutes. In case you have an own car, it will take even less. The next big shopping mall can be reached in around 10 minutes and the beach in one hour thanks to the new freeway. The bus service is excellent and very cheap.
Here you can find a map of Santa Ana.